Prepared by: Chef Garbo
This colorful fall harvest salad with shaved squash, cranberries and toasted pepitas with sweet and sour vinaigrette is a family favorite among Chef Garbo’s clients.
Shaved Butternut Squash Salad
My autumn-colored tossed salad is simple yet is quite stunning and full of flavor. It is made with shaved butternut squash, peppery arugula & a grainy mustard vinaigrette.
- Knife and cutting board
- Peeler (to peel and shave the squash and carrots)
- Salad bowl
- Jar with lid (to shake the dressing)
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 scallions (minced; I use only the white part)
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shaved butternut squash (skin removed; then shave with a peeler)
- 1 cup shaved carrots (skin removed is optional; then shave with a peeler)
- 6 cups fresh arugula (5oz bag)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
Make the dressing
- Combine the first six ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake vigorously to combine. Pour into a salad bowl.
- Marinate the butternut squash & carrot shavings in the dressing, 15 to 30 minutes. Stir ocassionally.
- Just before serving, add the arugula and toss to combine.
- Top with dried cranberries and toasted pepitas.
Leave a Reply