Prepared by: Chef Johanna
Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Dressing
This delicious vegan fall harvest salad is hearty and savory. It can easily be considered the entreé on your plate. And, you'll add it to your list of go-to salads for any time of the year.
- Knife and cutting board
- Spatula or tongs (to toss the veggies while they are sauteing)
- Salad bowl
- Serving spoon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potato (diced small)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (chopped small)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (I used a mix of parsley, mint, and basil)
- 1 head Butter lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about 1/4 cup juice) (zest for garnish)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Lemon zest (sprinkle here and there, not too thick)
- Fresh herbs (strategically place large and small leaves)
- Pistachios (scatter a few whole nuts)
Sauté the veggies
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the sweet potato and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until almost tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and garlic, season with a bit more salt and pepper, and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir often.
- Add black beans and pistachios, toss well. Reserve a few nuts for garnish.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and chill. Put the bowl in the fridge/freezer to speed this up.
Make the dressing
- Meanwhile, mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl, or jar, and blend well to combine.
- Just before serving, add the herbs, lettuce and dressing, toss well.
- Garnish with zest, fresh herbs and a few nuts.
This salad can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled. Change it up:
- Add dried cherries or other dried fruit.
- Use roasted garbanzo beans instead of the black beans, or a combination.
- Use arugula instead of the Butter lettuce.
- Use toasted pecans instead of pistachios.
Leave a Reply